K2D Traverse (Mt Kitanglad-Mt DulangDulang)



K2D Traverse (Mt Kitanglad-Mt DulangDulang)

When I was young, the only mountain I knew was the Majestic Mt. Apo. It was just recently that I knew of Mt Kitanglad and Mt Dulang-Dulang. Mt Kitanglad is the 4th highest mountain in the Philippines and Mt Dulang-Dulang is the 2nd highest mountain. So by this climb, we got 2 Major mountains at the same time! Amazing! 

We left Davao around 1:30 AM and arrived at Impasug-ong, Bukidnon by 7am. Our jump-off was at the Datu's house where we had a Ritual first for a safe climb. This was my first time to witness a ritual. It was just by then I understood why we brought some live chickens in the van - I really thought we're going to eat that during our climb, hehehe (always hungry me lol).

Ritual before climbing Mt Kitanglad

We started our hike around 9 in the morning. The sun's very hot, but the weather is cold. Anyways, the climb won't be an open trail - sunburn free face after!


At Camp 1, you will see a map of the K2D Traverse. All throughout your K2D climb, you will see some markings and guide on how far you are from the peak and from the base camp. 


Did some research before we decided to climb Mt Kitanglad, everyone is showing some pictures of some stairs on the trail. So I said, hah this is a very easy trek then. It was just during the climb that you will notice climbing stairs is very tiresome. There are a lot of stairs before you reach the summit! If I'm not mistaken, 10-15 flights of stairs (maybe I'm just exaggerating the numbers or maybe I missed some!)

 


Mt Kitanglad trail is very well taken cared of. You can see it by the railings they have on some cliff parts. I believe they need to make sure the trail is passable as they have tower sites at the peak. There's just one thing I don't like about this mountain - do you know the word "paasa"? Hahaha! You will see the towers and you will think you're already near the peak, but then after some hikes, you will see it's still on the next hill!


In addition to what I've said earlier that Mt Kitanglad is very well taken cared of, upon reaching the peak, where the tower sites are, you will be amazed that this mountain is also very "homey". There are bunk-beds with mattress, pillows, and blankets! Plus the CR has a heater too. Isn't it amaziiiiing? Very comfortable to rest for the night! 

And as usual, everyone woke up early to witness the sunrise at the Mt Kitanglad peak. 

Sunrise with Mt Apo from afar


A view of Mt Dulang-Dulang from Mt Kitanglad peak

Mt Kitanglad view deck



Mt Kitanglad Range Natural Park

 Around 9 am, we decided to pack-up and make our way to Mt Dulang-Dulang. As what they've said, it's the traverse part of K2D that makes it 8/9 difficulty. 

Just some couple of minutes on the trek, hello rappelling!




You know what's the best part of the traverse? This mini rock climbing part less 1km away from the peak. Yes, I said "mini" coz it's just (I believe) around 5 meters high. But what makes it "The Best Part"? I saw almost everyone, even those who were able to climb multiple mountains already, took a deep - very deep breath before attempting to climb. Hahaha!

(Bisaklatan pics hahaha)

And then again, as a member of "Team Sweeper", we arrived at the campsite already dark. I was kind of disappointed as I really wanted to see the mossy forest of Mt Dulang-Dulang. Our guide said not to worry, we'll check it around morning. He added we'll be surprised and will be very amazed by the view.

I set my alarm around 4:30am so I can still prepare and be picture-ready in time for the sunrise viewing at the peak. But came 6am, we're still inside our tents - freezing!

I love you. I love view.

Mt Dulang-Dulang campsite

Although it's very cold, we still managed to check the summit.

Mt Dulang-Dulang peak

Sea of clouds!

Mt Kitanglad as seen from Mt Dulang-Dulang peak

This place is super-duper amazing! The mossy forest is very enchanting! It's like we're on another world! Wow! The trail is very worth it!



After breakfast, we decided to go down. If on the 2 days of our climb we were always the "team sweeper", we made sure this time we won't be. Purely descend, it made it very easy for us to go down. Still, it took us 4-5hours to go down from Mt Dulang-Dulang peak - this is the 2nd highest mountain in the Philippines.



Thank you to Wowie Ernie of SicaoTours for this amazing experience!



K2D Traverse, Bukidnon
Mt Kitanglad, 4th highest mountain the Philippines
Mt Dulang-Dulang, 2nd highest mountain in the Philippines

#TravelBudDear

No comments:

Post a Comment